About Us
Frequent Questions
Grief Support
Helpful Links

Main Office
210 B Kelley Road
Hinton, AB T7V 1H2
Tel: 780-865-8899
Toll Free: 1-855-299-8899

Funeral Home
5901 3 Avenue
Edson, AB
Tel: 780-723 2263

Wheelchair accessible

Frequently Asked Questions


What type of service should I have?
The type of service conducted for the deceased is specified by the family. Funeral directors are trained to help families arrange the type of service they desire. The service is usually held at a place of worship, at the funeral home or a Community Hall. The service may vary in ritual according to religious denomination or the wishes of the family. The presence of friends at this time is an acknowledgement of friendship and support. A private service is by invitation only where selected relatives and a few close friends attend the funeral service. A memorial service is usually a service without the body present and can vary in ceremony and procedures according to the family's community and religious affiliations.

Can I personalize my funeral service?
Absolutely. The funeral is a celebration of life. Mountain Rose Funeral Directors are happy to discuss all options and ensure your funeral is tailored to your wishes. It may be personalized by playing favourite music, displaying family treasures or artifacts, or by having close friends say a few words during the funeral service. 

Why have a public viewing?
Viewing is a part of many cultural and ethnic traditions. Many grief specialists believe that viewing aids the grief process by helping the bereaved recognize the reality of death. Viewing is encouraged for children, as long as the process is explained and the activity is voluntary. Mountain Rose Funeral Homes truly BELIEVES in the value of viewing, and encourages all families to consider and ask other family members and friends if they require this opportunity. In some families it is the only way some people can confront the loss and begin the road to healing from grief.

Why have an obituary notice?
It is helpful to friends and the community to have an obituary notice published announcing the death and type of service to be held. A notice can be placed in a local newspaper or on the Internet. It allows the public from near and abroad to learn of your loved ones passing and in most cases allows a way for those afar to contact your family. With the age of the internet, news of a loss can span the globe allowing people from anywhere a chance to mourn the loss.

What do funeral directors do?
Funeral directors are caregivers and administrators. They make the arrangements for transportation of the body, complete all necessary paperwork, and implement the choices made by the family regarding the funeral and final disposition of the body.

Funeral directors are listeners, advisors and supporters. They have experience assisting the bereaved in coping with death. Funeral directors are trained to answer questions about grief, recognize when a person is having difficulty coping, and recommend sources of professional help. Funeral directors also link survivors with support groups at the funeral home or in the community.

 Mountain Rose Funeral Homes has initiated grief recovery programs for the West Yellowhead Area they  and have a literature and resource library to assist area residents in hopes of building  stronger, healthier communtiy members.

What should I do if the death occurs in the middle of the night or on the weekend?
Mountain Rose Funeral Directors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Simply instruct the hospital to notify us or call us night or day and we will address your needs immediately and professionally.

Will someone come right away?
If you request immediate assistance, yes. If the family wishes to spend a short time with the deceased to say good bye, it's acceptable. They will come when your time is right. When contacting Mountain Rose Funeral Homes, please let the Funeral Director know if your family needs time before transportation takes place and we will accomodate your family's needs.

If a loved one dies out of province or in another country, can the local Funeral Home still help?
Yes, they can assist you with out-of-province arrangements, either to transfer the remains to another province or from another province. Mountain Rose Funeral Homes can make arrangements to transport to and from most anywhere in the world.

What should I do if a death occurs while away from home?
Your funeral director can assist you if a death occurs anywhere on the globe. Contact your hometown funeral director of choice immediately. They will assume responsibility and coordinate the arrangements for the return of the deceased person to their community. They may engage the services of a funeral director in the place of death who will act as their agent.

Mountain Rose Funeral Homes is the authorized agent for the Secure Return Assurance Plan in the West Yellowhead Region. Policy holders can have all the transportation and documentation completed with one simple call; and we will make sure all the arrangements concerning transportation are looked after on your families behalf. Secure Return Assurance Plan is a leader in their field and serve globally to its client families.

What is the purpose of embalming?
Embalming sanitizes and preserves the body, retards the decomposition process, and enhances the appearance of a body disfigured by traumatic death or illness.

Embalming makes it possible to lengthen the time between death and the final disposition, thus allowing family members time to arrange and participate in the type of service most comforting to them.

Embalming allows the family a "last memory" of their loved one and in most cases deviod of the ravages of disease or physical trauma. Please speak with Mountain Rose Funeral Homes experienced embalmers to discuss what embalming options we can provide for your family.

Please note that embalming may be required if the deceased is being transported by air to another country where local laws need be observed.

Is embalming mandatory by law?
No. But, the factors of time, health and possible legal requirements might make embalming either appropriate or necessary. The law requires embalming when the body is shipped into or out of Alberta or by public carrier. Embalming the body enables mourners to view the deceased if they wish. The emotional benefits of viewing the deceased are enormous, particularly to those having difficulty dealing with the death.

Is cremation a substitute for a funeral?
No, cremation is an alternative to earth burial or entombment, for the body's final disposition and often follows a traditional funeral service. Your Funeral Home can assist you with the necessary information for a funeral with a cremation following, or cremation in advance with a Memorial Service following.

Can I have a visitation period and a funeral service if cremation is chosen?
Yes. Cremation does not preclude having a visitation period and a funeral service. Cremation is simply one option for final disposition of the body. Mountain Rose Funeral Homes BELIEVES in the value of viewing and will provide whatever neccesary arrangements to make a visitation possible. Please keep in mind, in some cases of trauma or accident, viewing may not be available but Mountain Rose Funeral Homes will and can still provide means to allow your family what ever appropriate time needed with the body regarless.

Why are funerals so expensive?
In some respects, funerals are a lot like weddings or birthday celebrations. The type and cost will vary according to the tastes and budget of the consumer.

A funeral home is a 24-hour, labor-intensive business, with extensive facilities (viewing rooms, chapels, limousines, hearses, etc.), these expenses must be factored into the cost of a funeral.

Moreover, the cost of a funeral includes not only merchandise, like caskets, but the services of a funeral director in making arrangements; filing appropriate forms; dealing with doctors, ministers, florists, newspapers and others; and seeing to all the necessary details. Contrary to popular belief, funeral homes are largely family-owned with a modest profit margin.

What recourse does a consumer have for poor service or overcharging?
While most funeral homes provide outstanding services, sometimes things can go wrong. Funeral service is regulated by the Board of Funeral Services and province licensing boards. In most cases, the consumer should discuss problems with the funeral director first. If the dispute cannot be solved by talking with the funeral director, the consumer may wish to contact the Funeral Service Consumer Assistance Program. FSCAP provides information, mediates disputes, provides arbitration, and maintains a consumer guarantee fund for reimbursement of services rendered. (To contact FSCAP, call 1-800-387-4458)

 In Alberta

Alberta Funeral Services Regulatory Board

contact: Marilyn MacPherson

11810 Kingsway Avenue

Edmonton, Alberta

T5G 0X5


0r electronically at office@afsrb.ab.ca .

Who pays for funerals for the indigent?

Other than the family, there are veteran, union, and other organizational benefits to pay for funerals, including, in certain instances, a lump sum death payment from C.P.P. In most provinces, some form of public aid allowances are available from either the province, county, or city or a combination.

Most funeral directors are aware of the various benefits and know how to obtain them for the indigent. However, funeral directors often absorb costs above and beyond what is provided by agencies to insure the deceased a respectable burial or cremation service.

Are there government agencies that help defray final expenses?
Usually, Funeral Directors will help gather the necessary information to apply for financial assistance from C.P.P., Veteran's Affairs, A.I.S.H. or Social Services on behalf of the family. The Funeral Director will provide all documentation and guidance to assist in these social programs.

Copyright © 2017 Mountain Rose Funeral Homes Ltd.. All Rights Reserved.    | Website by CFS |